Andaz Maui Brings a Taste of Aloha to The James Beard Foundation House
Executive Chef Isaac Bancaco successfully headlines sold-out dinner in New York City
MAUI, HAWAII (May XX, 2016) – On Thursday, May 19, Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort’s Executive Chef Isaac Bancaco and his talented culinary team, Chef de Cuisines Ritchard Cariaga and Mi Jin Kang, headlined a coveted dinner at the world-renowned James Beard House in New York City. Serving a sold-out dinner for 75 guests, diners enjoyed a six-course meal with wine pairings that boasted locally grown ingredients and vibrant flavors, offering a true taste of ‘aloha’.
“It was truly an honor to be invited to cook at the James Beard House and bring a taste of my home and Andaz Maui to the Big Apple,” said Andaz Maui’s Executive Chef Isaac Bancaco. “I feel so fortunate to be able to celebrate my culinary heritage while also introducing the Hawaiian culture to such a distinguished and well respected group of people.”
An exceptional leader among this generation of local Maui chefs who are shaping the island’s culinary scene and boldly taking Hawaiian cuisine into the future, Maui born and raised Chef Bancaco paid tribute to his stout Maui roots (Hawaiian, Japanese, Chinese, Filipino) by creating a perfectly balanced menu that included:
- Hors d’oeuvres included:
-Malama Farm pork rillettes with pickled scallion bulbs and miso cream cheese served on brioche
-Watermelon with Surfing Goat Dairy feta, walnuts, and watercress
-Hawaiian-style poke with inamona, limu, and Maui onions
-Kaua’i shrimp with coconut curd and pineapple pickle
- EKAHI: Somen noodles with black sesame sauce, maitake mushrooms, and chile oil |Paired with Regis Bouvier, 2015, Marsannay Rose, Cote de Nuits, France
- ELUA: Octopus with Surfing Goat Dairy secret Sicily chèvre, preserved lemon, asparagus, and bitter greens | Paired with Kuentz-Bas, 2014, Pinot Blanc, Alsace, France
- EKOLU: Abalone risotto with onsen tamago and shiitake salt | Paired with Vieux Telegraphe, 2014, Pigeoulet Rouge, France
- EHA: Wagyu beef cheeks with peanuts, XO sauce, and banana blossoms | Paired with Terrebrune, 2009, Bandol Rouge, Provence, France
- DESSERT: Poi mochi with Liliko‘i, Waialua Estate chocolate, and goat’s milk caramel | Paired with La Tour Vieille, 2014, Banyuls Rimage, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
After the dinner, Chef Bancaco and his team met diners in an intimate Q&A.